Christmas was wonderful again this year. With Katie home, we were all together again. Camia asked me if Christmas was over since the presents were all opened. Of course, I said that Christmas lasts for a long time even without presents. It was one of those "Mom answers", but I truly want it to be so.
As I wait up for Katie to get home from an evening out with friends, I find myself thinking of Christmases when I was young. They were so magical. The twinkly lights on the tree were especially beautiful when I squinted my eyes. There was plenty of time for homemade candy, caroling at the retirement home, going with mom and dad to deliver goodies to the neighbors, and being at home. This year, I barely got some fudge made, and it was Christmas Eve. We didn't even get all the Christmas movies watched this year before Christmas. I did not even send out one Christmas card. Sometimes I wish I could rewind time, edit out the things that were not that important, and have more time for the things that are. But, what would I take out? Not the school Christmas program where Camia was Mary and Baylor was Joseph, (and I really did enjoy playing the piano for the kids to sing to.) Not the ballgames that I got to watch as Spencer and Rebecca played. Not helping at the school after the fire in the boiler room filled the school with black smoke. Really, living life sometimes means that things don't happen just the way I want them to, but realizing that the Lord is mindful of me and my family makes life worth living.
It seems that time is fleeting now. It is running faster and faster all the time. As the days speed by, I feel a sense of urgency to prepare myself and my family in all things possible. Have I taught our older children what they need to know about the gospel and life? Have I used my time wisely and learned and grown as should have? Have I really taken the time to let my family and friends know how much I truly love and appreciate them?
I feel that I have a million thoughts in my mind tonight. As I prepare to begin the new year, I need to recommit to studying my scriptures daily and serving my family better. As we strive to have family prayer, family home evening,and family scripture study, I get frustrated when everyone is so busy, that these things often get sacrificed. I pray that the Lord will help us do these things more regurlarly, because I know they do make a difference in our home when we do them.
Well, Katie made it home, and it is much too late to be awake. Good night.
2 comments:
Debbie you are amazing! This is a beautiful post! It promted me to do some thinking! I hope you have a happy new year!
Yeah! You posted! And thanks for sharing your thoughts! I casually asked my mom as we made lunch on Christmas day if she'd "had a good Christmas"- she reminded me that Christmas is much more than opening presents. I do know that, but applying it and always remembering it is a challenge. Happy New Year! We'll see you soon!
Post a Comment