Thursday, August 16, 2007

This group picture was taken by Baylor's founding place. It used to be the front gates of a temple. The sign on the right has names of people and amounts of money they donated. At the time, it must have been a busy place.
Von left today for Guangzhou. He will spend the night there and fly out early in the morning for home. Spencer is feeling very outnumbered at this point. He would have been very happy to go home with Von.
After Von left, we noticed that a playground area in the hotel was finally open. We look whenever we walk by, but it is usually closed. Today it was open, so we took the babies in to play. Oh, what happy kids. They had so much fun crawling around
on the toys. The rest of us played mad libs for a
while. I don't know why kids have to go the
wrong way up the slide. It must be a very important part of being a kid.
I am more amazed every day at how resilient kids are. Baylor is coming out of his shell more all the time. He is warming up to me a bit, probably because I feed him most of the time. He let me rock him to sleep tonight. Usually, Von had to do that. Baylor definately has some institutional behaviors that we will need to work on, but all in time. The biting needs to be the first to go. Camia fed him something last night, and he bit her finger quite hard. She was not impressed.
We look forward to going to Guangzhou tomorrow. A change of scenery will be good.
It just gets us that much closer to coming home
and settling in. I wonder often how Baylor will like his new life. It will be so much different than the life he is used to.
I had an interesting phone call last night. The phone rang, so I answered it. A man asked if he could rent me. I wasn't sure if I heard right and said, "you want to rent me?" He said is this room 602? "yes," Then I want to rent you, your name is "sdlfjs". I about died. Then he told me he must have the wrong number, "sorry". It was so funny. We laughed so hard.
Well, it is 9:00 on Thursday night. The babies have been asleep for a while. We are all watching a movie yet again. We are tired, and ready for bed. I pray that Von has a safe and pleasant trip home. It will be much harder without him. Our guide told me yesterday that she was jealous of me because of our many children, and good husband. She said she could tell he loved me. When I asked about her husband, she said she mostly married him because her mother worried a lot that she wasn't married. He was tall and handsome, so she married him. She found that he was tall and handsome, but not a good man, but she must be happy anyway. It made me sad. She seems like such a nice lady. I have been so very blessed. Being here reinforces that over and over. Good night.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Debra,
Yes, you certainly are blessed. But so are those sweet little spirits who get to come to live with you forever! Safe home, Von. Take care, Deb. Hi to Lauri and the rest, too. I love you all tons!
Love, Julie

Candise said...

I have enjoyed your adventures! It looks like you are having a great time. Baylor is as handsome as ever and looks just like a Chinese Bean! Enjoy every minute of your trip. We look forward to meeting your new addition.

Alicia said...

Oh, I'm in tears again, thinking of how I just sobbed during the night before Kris left me to fly home early - The time in Guangzhou went by fast though - you will be back home before you know it! And we can't wait to meet Baylor. Xian was also nervous everytime we went out - she didn't want anyone acting like they were going to take her - I think she was worried that she would be handed off yet again to a new set of caretakers. She is doing so much better now - I think she might even actually play with Camia when you get back - she went to Nursery on Sunday and had a great time. I LOVE seeing your pictures! Alicia P.S. Nida is already doing some matchmaking and thinks that Baylor would be a good match for Xian - she doesn't mind the age difference - he's a beautiful boy!

Alicia said...

Okay, I just have to say that I zoomed in on your family picture and LOVE seeing all the equipment strapped to Von - TWO sippy cup holders! That is just the BEST!!!
Alicia

Alicia said...

Debra, do you know if Baylor received any immunizations from the SWI? I never thought to ask while we were there, and have no information - thought you might want to check into it while you are there - it might be easier than waiting until you get back. I took Xian to the Dr. yesterday - he can only check titers on a couple of shots - the rest we're pretty much in the dark on. Alicia